"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff" - Matt Kibbe

6/14/12

Green Eggs and Ham ala Dan Mitchell


by Dan Mitchell

In my efforts to promote liberty, I’ve noticed that some people seem impervious to logical arguments and empirical evidence.

Since they have a child-like faith in government, perhaps the best way to reach them is with updated versions of children’s stories and fables.

I’ve already shared the PC version of the story about the ant and the grasshopper, as well as the modern fable about bureaucracy, featuring an ant and a lion. Now it’s time for a revised version of Green Eggs and Ham.

I do not like this Uncle Sam,
I do not like his health care scam.

I do not like these dirty crooks,
or how they lie and cook the books.

I do not like when Congress steals,
I do not like their secret deals.

I do not like ex-speaker Nan,
I do not like this ‘YES, WE CAN!’

I do not like this spending spree —
Even a fool knows that nothing’s free.

I do not like the smug replies,
when we complain about their lies.

I do not like this kind of hope.
I do not like it, I’m not a dope!

If your left-wing friends understand this fable, then you can see if they’re ready for more advanced stories, such as the one about using beer to explain the tax system, the joke about using two cows to explain various economic and political systems.

At some point, after years of therapy and education, maybe they’ll even be ready for grown-up analysis!

Dan Mitchell is a senior fellow at the Cato Institute 
He blogs at International Liberty
His articles are republished here from time to time with his express permission.

No comments: