"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff" - Matt Kibbe

1/23/20

A Brief Beginning


 As I have hinted at in the past, I have decided to begin posting again on a more regular basis. I'm not sure what the frequency of posts will be.

The title of the blog has changed to "Fundamental Things." The focus is somewhat different and hopefully more interesting. 

As I think of topics or questions that can become clearer when distilled to the fundamental elements, I will post a short commentary pointing it out.

Obviously I do not have all (or maybe any) of the answers, so the commentary will often be in the form of a question, with no answers required. My observation has always been that the most thoughtful writers trust their readers to draw their own conclusions. I aspire to be a thoughtful writer.

The whole point is for all of us to become more thoughtful about how we regard our shared aspirations and problems. But also how we respectfully consider the thoughts of others about those things. Agreement is not necessary, or perhaps even desirable, but respect is essential.

With that preamble, I submit the following observation as a brief beginning:

 The most unfortunate fundamental notion, almost universally held, is that the use of force, or the threat thereof, is the best way to achieve social justice or societal goals.

Most of the problems we face are affected by the answer to that fundamental question. I wonder how many of us have allowed that to become the default belief.

I solicit  comments concerning the post and suggestions for future posts.Thanks for reading.


No comments: