"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff" - Matt Kibbe

12/2/20

Walter E Williams, a Fundamental Economist


By Grant Davies

A great friend of liberty passed away yesterday. 

I'm not much into naming people as heroes, but Dr. Walter Williams was a hero to me. I have read his books (all of them, I think) and still own quite a number of them to this day.
I was introduced to his work by an essay he wrote titled "The role of government in a free society." 

That essay resides in the guest bathroom of our home for the edification of any overnight guest we have while they are otherwise occupied in that room.
I was fortunate enough to attend the below presentation that Dr. Williams made (of that same title) in 1994 in Chicago. If you have never read the essay I'm referring to, or seen the video of it before, you would do well to watch it now.
This presentation, and others like it, were the inspiration for my evolution from a bloviating opinionator into a person who analyzes problems from a fundamental standpoint. I still may not get it right but it has worked out somewhat better for me than before.
Williams was a genius at making complex problems understandable even to people like me. He was known by many as "the peoples' economist." He wrote his last column just days ago.

He keeps things simple and fundamental. And no matter how complicated people try to make things, almost everything is simple and fundamental.


2 comments:

Woody Woodward said...

Grant,
Thank you for posting this outstanding presentation. I am going to search out Mr. Williams books as I have enjoyed his line of thought and how he expresses it. Keep up the good work and best wishes for a joyous and safe Holiday period. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Woody Woodward

Grant Davies said...

Thanks for the kind words Woody. Best wishes to you and yours for a great Christmas and 2021.